Do you know about concrete truss screeds? They consist of truss frame sections connected by quick couplings, allowing for different widths as needed. Their sturdy structure prevents sagging, making them ideal for construction projects with larger spans. Truss screeds are one of the most commonly used machines for concrete leveling.
In this post, I will introduce:
- What is a concrete truss screed
- Its advantages and unique applications
- Buying guide for the top 4 truss concrete screed brands
- How to use it
By reading the following content, you will gain a comprehensive understanding of concrete truss screed machine.
What Is Vibratory Truss Screed
A vibratory truss screed is a type of concrete screed machine that is used to create a level concrete surface. This frame concrete screed walks on the formwork and relies on its height to control the level of the concrete. It has a triangular frame structure that is very rigid, making it ideal for creating precise leveling results. The machine also uses an eccentric shaft to provide vibration, which is extremely powerful. The truss screeds are also fitted with a 1-2 meter frame that can be set to different widths (up to 18 meters) to suit your needs. Overall, the truss screed machine is an excellent choice for creating a leveled surface.
Truss Screed Concrete Advantages
Super Vibration Force
Truss screeds are a type of construction equipment that uses a central rotating shaft to drive an eccentric block. The resulting vibration force is used to level and compact concrete. The center shaft is usually driven directly by the engine, and the resulting vibration frequency can reach up to 10,000 vpm.
In the previous article, we have introduced the advantages and methods of concrete surface vibrating.
The vibrating truss screed is the most powerful concrete screed machine with vibration force. This powerful vibration force makes it very suitable for some high grade concrete applications that require strong vibration ( Some dry concrete or hot weather concrete ). In some concrete road projects and bridge projects, you can often see it.
A-Frame Concrete Screed For Large Span Construction
The A-frame(triangular) structure is also very stable and will not deform when the span is large. The maximum span can be achieved by close to 20 meters. This makes this A-frame concrete screed ideal for use in a variety of settings, from a small road to large warehouses. This structure is not easily deformed by strong vibrations, so it is also more effective in levelling than some smaller machines.
Easy To Assemble
Truss screed is a versatile tool that can be used for a variety of applications. As mentioned above, it is made up of standard sections that can be easily assembled to get the desired width. This feature also has additional benefits for future maintenance. If there is a problem with one of the standard sections, only that section needs to be replaced individually. In addition, concrete contractors do not have to purchase the machine multiple times depending on the width of the concrete leveling project. One machine fits all widths, which makes it very economical.
Double-Sided Slope Construction
*In the video above you can see how to adjust the truss screed slope.
We are not stranger to concrete slope construction, in the previous article I introduced the roller screed in various concrete slope construction applications. Truss screed plays a completely different role, it is based on its own structural advantages for the slope construction. Truss screed concrete can arch at a certain angle in the middle for the double-sided slope construction.
Truss Screeds Buying Guide (4 Brand)
Allen truss screed has been in use for over 4 years on countless projects around the world. With gasoline engine power, drive vibration and hydraulic winch options, this self-contained truss screed is the industry standard for all steel framed truss screeds. Accessories are available for roads, bridges, slabs and more.
The MBW truss screed is set-up and cleaned in roughly half the time of other screeds. Mechanical problems common to other designs are eliminated. All bolted construction eliminates weldment failure. MBW’s offset eccentric shaft/bearing design results in far more uniform vibration across the screed and greatly extends bearing life. The quick coupling method of joining section shafts is fast and eliminates failure of mechanical connectors. Precision machined, cast A-frames handle stresses in all planes and serve as a built-in fixture for maintaining perfect screed alignment throughout the life of the product.
Wacker vibratory truss screeds are designed for precise strike-off and consolidation of concrete surfaces up to 25 cm/10 inches thick where critical flatness is desired. The bolted construction throughout the screed sections allow for fast assembly without special tools. The T-bolt adjuster provides quick, precise adjustments for flat, crowned or inverted strike-off.
HIKING company is specialized in steel and aluminum truss screed machine, which uses the original Honda gasoline engine, is widely used in concrete pavement, bridge and ground engineering for concrete ground pulping, compaction and leveling. Its leveling effect is very good. The width of the road surface can be formed once in the range of 4-18 meters, which can reduce the longitudinal construction joints.
How To Use It
- It is the owner’s responsibility to communicate information on the safe use and proper operation of this unit to the operators.
- Familiarize yourself with the operation of the machine and confirm that all controls function properly.
- Know how to stop the machine in case of an emergency.
- Make sure hands, feet, and clothing are at a safe distance from any moving parts.
- Oil level – check the oil level in the engine. For more information see “lubrication” Under the respective engine’s “Owners manual” Or the maintenance section of this manual.
- Air cleaner – check to ensure element is in good condition and properly installed.
- Fuel supply – the engines on truss concrete screed equipment require an automotive grade of clean, fresh, unleaded gasoline.
- Fuel filter – if clogged or damaged, replace.
1. Open fuel valve.
2. Turn engine switch to “ON”.
3. Set throttle to idle.
4. Choke engine if necessary (you may not need to choke a warm engine).
5. Pull starter rope repeatedly until engine starts.
6. Move choke lever to open position.
7. Allow engine to warm up for one or two minutes.
Proper screed operation is dependant upon uniform and accurate concrete placement. The puddlers should rough grade the freshly poured concrete to just above the strike off edging. For the mechanical screed, effective concrete screeding can be done with the engine set from 2000 to a maximum of 2800 rpm.
Warning: Increasing engine RPM above 2800 can cause damage to A-Frames
1. Begin moving screed to strike off rough graded concrete.
2. Puddlers should maintain a uniform rough grade and remove any concrete buildup in front of leading edge.
3. If screed has to be stopped, it is important to do so quickly as this will prevent wash back and ridges.
4. Before starting up again, pick up screed and set it back about a foot, then proceed.
5. If there is a time delay between concrete trucks, the unfinished concrete should be rough graded back and well below screed strike off height. This will prevent a cold joint when screed operation is resumed.
1. Move throttle to idle position.
2. Let engine idle for one or two minutes.
3. Turn switch on engine to “STOP” position.
4. Turn off fuel valve.
Always stop the engine before:
- Adding fuel.
- Leaving the equipment unattended for any amount of time.
- Making any repairs or adjustments to the machine.
Cleaning the truss screed machine
1. After using the truss screed, immediately wash it down with water hose or high pressure washer andscrub any hard buildup of concrete with a stiff brush.
Do not use wire brush.
2. Grease each bearing of the mechanical screed with one shot of low temperature grease immediately after cleaning. Do not over grease the bearings!
3. Run this truss screed at operating speed for one minute to dissipate and expel excess water and grease.
In this post we have introduced the advantages of concrete truss screed. And we also explain in detail the tips on using it. Finally we have recommended 4 more brands truss screed for you to select. We are sure you already have a systematic understanding about truss screed machine.